Tuesday, June 11, 2013

See You!

This sweet girl (whose name I'm sorry! I don't remember)
helped me write "Music" using Kanji calligraphy.
Her writing, of course, looked ten times better than mine,
but she was very patient and a great teacher.
"You've got a friend in me.
You've got a friend in me.
When the road 
looks rough ahead,
And you're miles and miles
from your nice warm bed,
You just remember 
what your old pal said:
You've got a friend in me."
This woman is absolutely inspiring.
Not only was she our translator, but she also helps
maintain a beautiful garden at her family's house,
plays tennis, creates needlepoint works of art.
This picture and the three others like it
were taken yesterday morning at her house.
"









These two pictures are of 
traditional Sakiori weaving.  
It was a lot of fun,
and I created pieces of cloth 
that I will definitely be 
showing off in my 
classroom next year! :) 

Yesterday, after we watched the students clean the school (every day at 3:30,
isn't that awesome?!), I watched a band rehearsal for a few minutes and then
watched some very giggly girls during their trombone sectional.

Later, we headed to a Kendo practice (which was SO COOL!) but I'll
have to have to post pictures of that some other time.








In Japan, very nice (and very expensive!) kimonos are usually
just warn for festivals.  In our hotels, yukatas (light, cotton kimonos) 
were provided to basically be used as bathrobes.  Most people 
even wear them around the hotel, especially when headed to
and from the onsen (Japanese bathhouse - Google it!). 




Our final dinner in Hanamaki was held at a wonderful little pizzeria 
just down the street from our hotel.  It was just our group of 
teachers and friends and the chef.  
The food tasted like it was straight from Italy, 
and the evening was a perfect end to a perfect trip.




"And as the years go by,
Our friendship 
will never die.
You're gonna see, 
it's our destiny.
You've got 
a friend in me." *





Dear Sister City Hanamaki,
Thanks for the memories.  I'll cherish them forever!
Your people's kindness is far greater than words can express
and imaginations can picture.
I hope we'll meet again someday.
See you!
With great love,
Katherine Combs

*(Randy Newman's "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for making this special blog! You are special to Hanamaki. See you very soon in Hot Springs!
    Ichiro

    ReplyDelete